
Carrot cake has always been a favorite on my Dad's side of the family. My Grandma was queen bee of making carrot cake and lemon sauce. She would spoil us and make it with out raisins (we all know raisins cause cancer, relax...not really). I do not make grandma's recipe because it is not healthy at all (I guess the carrots are , but...). Here is my version. Quite tasty. Although you may have to adjust the lemon in the sauce to your desired "lemoniness" : ) I know this is just carrots, but once again I did not take a picture. Maybe next time I make it.
Carrot cake
2 c whole wheat flour (I use hard white wheat...still light enough for me)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c chopped nuts (I used slivered almonds, but I usually use walnut)
3/4 c oil (You can use half apple sauce or use coconut oil)
3/4 c honey
4 eggs
2 c shredded carrots (can use dehyderated carrots, hydrate first)
1 c. crushed pineapple (i did not drain the juice)
I also add shredded coconut sometimes.
You can add raisins if you do not tell me :)
Mix dry ingredients well. Add oil, honey & eggs. Mix well: stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into 2 or 3 greased and floured 9" layer pans or a 9" x 13" pan. Bake a t 350* for 35 minutes. TIP: when cooking with whole wheat-Do not over cook. It is better to be a little under cooked than over cooked. Cool and rop with lemon sauce or cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese frosting (Try it I was skeptical at first too.)
8 oz cream cheese
6 TBSP softened butter
2-4 TBSP honey
1 tsp vanilla
Cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add, honey and vanilla. Beat well. Spread on cake.
Lemon Sauce
2 c whole milk
4 egg whites
2 whole egg
2-4 TBSP stevia (powdered) Do not use too much or it will taste bitter
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP cornstarch
1/2 c cream
Juice and rind from one lemon.
My grandma uses 1 TBSP butter in her sauce (I did not use butter) and does not use cream-
In a bowl, beat egg and egg whites together with stevia and cornstarch. Mix well. In a small sauce pan bring milk and cream to a boil. Stir contantly. Remove from heat and add in lemon & rind if you want to add rind). Slowly add some of the milk mixture to the egg mixture stirring the egg mixture constantly (you do not want to cook your eggs). After you have 1/3 to 1/2 of the milk mixture into the egg mixture add it back into the rest of the milk mixture, whisking constantly. Continue to cook until it is a saucy consistency.
No comments:
Post a Comment